Thursday 7 August 2014

Small, yellow, leechlike, and the first cross stitch pattern I designed

The first cross stitch pattern I ever made myself (rather than using a kit) was the Babel Fish entry from Douglas Adams’ ‘The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy’, inspired by Rod Lord’s animations for the 1981 BBC television adaptation.

I was close to picking the Magrathean planet cross-section screen, but the curved lines were a bit beyond my beginner designing skills! In hindsight, getting all the text lined up was pretty tricky anyway.


Some people may love the movie, some may prefer the books or the radio series, but my heart (of gold) belongs to the TV series version of HHGTTG. Ford and Arthur were two of the very first peg people I ever made, so it was appropriate that the wee Babel Fish was the first cross stitch :)

By the way, the "computer animation" is all done by hand - just let that sink in for a moment

The pattern is for sale in my Etsy shop.

“Meanwhile the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different cultures and races, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.”

P.S. For a blast of nostalgia, why not have a go at the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy computer game.

No comments:

Post a Comment